The Spiritual Care Series will help you gain:
- An understanding of issues related to ageing
- Insight in how to best journey alongside older people
- Pastoral and spiritual care skills to serve older people
- Opportunities to learn and grow spiritually through interactions with older people
The Spiritual Care Series is a great opportunity to be better trained in pastoral and spiritual care for any circumstances you may be in contact with older people. The course is run by BaptistCare to train volunteers to support BaptistCare clients in residential facilities and in their own homes, however, the skills gained are transferable to all ministries with older people.
It is an 8 week course (17-Mar to 19-May), being run on Tuesday mornings at Hughes Baptist Church from mid-March. It uses videos to provide expert input as well as group work and pre-reading to help increase understanding of issues related to ageing and pastoral care. Topics include: ageing, dementia, death and dying, the power of storytelling and communication. As many older people struggle with isolation, change and loss, your willingness to give time and love can be transforming. Please click here to see a short video explaining the course.
More information and a link to register can be found at: baptistcare.org.au/get-involved/pastoral-care-volunteers/
- $35 for course materials
- Potential participants need to be committed Christians with a desire to support older people and have a reference from their pastor/minister as to their suitability. You do not need to be Baptist to attend.
- On completion of the course, it is expected that participants are available for visiting BaptistCare clients for 2hrs a week for 12 months. This may be in residential care or in the client’s home. Support is provided to volunteers through monthly meetings and one to one support from a chaplain as required.